← Back to Home

Columbia sees early slump in international applications as tighter US visa rules rattle students

By | International | 07-Nov-2025 12:01:02


News Story

Columbia University is bracing for a potential downturn in international enrollment next year after early admissions data signalled a dip in overseas applications — a shift senior leadership directly links to tightening U S visa scrutiny and broad uncertainty around federal research funding.

Addressing the University Senate on October 24, Acting President Claire Shipman acknowledged that the current admissions cycle has placed Columbia in “a cautious posture,” as global families increasingly view studying in the United States as a higher-risk decision.

International intake holds financial weight

International students accounted for 39 percent of Columbia’s student body in 2024 — a demographic that delivers nearly 13 percent of the University’s operating budget, according to Politico and Columbia’s 2025 financial report. With early signs of a decline, administrators are watching closely. A University spokesperson declined to comment on the outlook.

Visa crackdowns and detentions intensify unease

Fears have grown on campus after a series of federal immigration enforcement actions this year. In March, Immigration and Customs Enforcement detained Palestinian students Mahmoud Khalil, SIPA ’24, and Mohsen Mahdawi, GS ’25, SIPA ’27, on national-security grounds tied to political activism. Both were later released without criminal charges.

Separately, Secretary of State Marco Rubio moved to revoke more than 300 student visas nationwide. University Provost Angela Olinto told campus officials in an email — cited by the Spectator — that four Columbia students were initially swept up in the revocations before some visas were reinstated.

Travel restrictions widen as us tightens screening

Compounding the uncertainty, visa appointments for F-1 and J-1 applicants were paused in late May as the State Department expanded social-media screening. Appointments resumed in June, but the climate remained unsettled.

A June 4 presidential executive order added partial or full entry bans on nationals from 19 countries, affecting prospective students. A NAFSA analysis in July projected a 30–40 percent drop in new international enrollment across the U.S. this fall — potentially shrinking total enrollment by 15 percent and stripping an estimated $7 billion from the national economy.

Research funding cuts add another layer of risk

Shipman told the Senate that although most federal research grants delayed last year have been restored, the road ahead is uncertain. The proposed FY 2026 federal budget includes deep cuts to the National Science Foundation and National Institutes of Health — two engines of Columbia’s research enterprise.

Todd Wolfson, president of the American Association of University Professors, described the pressures on universities as “a perfect storm.”

Columbia rolls out support measures

To cushion students from sudden visa-related disruptions, Columbia has expanded financial support. The International Student Hardship Fund — backed by the Office of the President, trustees and alumni — has distributed nearly $500,000 since April to help cover unexpected visa, travel and documentation costs.

The University has also allocated endowment resources to a Research Stabilisation Fund to offset potential gaps stemming from federal cuts.

Shipman said Columbia is preparing for both volatility and opportunity as global higher-education dynamics shift, noting that planning now will be key to navigating the months ahead.